Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Weekend trip!

This weekend from Thursday night to Monday morning, my friend Dannie and I traveled to southern Spain to see Granada and Cordoba. I picked Granada because so many people I know that have traveled to Spain before told me how amazing it was...one even said that it was her favorite city in Spain. Cordoba was only a short 2 hour train ride away and has the 2nd largest mosque (next to Mecca) in the world, so we decided we had to see that, too.

The best way that I can possibly describe these cities is "picturesque". Barcelona is many things, but that quality is not one I would use for it. Granada and Cordoba, however, were the perfect representation of what I expected Spain to be like...the small, quaint Spanish city with amazingly friendly people and delicious. It was breath-takingly beautiful in a way that Barcelona could never be. I am so glad that I was able to experience this side of Spain.

Another characteristic of these small, Spanish towns was how hospitable and friendly everyone was that we came into contact with. We never spoke English to anyone, but for some reason I found it easier to understand Spanish there. Maybe it's the lack of the Catalan influence/tension, or maybe it was just that the people just seemed more willing to talk. Whatever it was, we were truly blessed to meet wonderful people throughout the weekend.

After spending a weekend in gorgeous southern Spain, I am relieved to be able to say that I am still glad I am in Barcelona because there is just so much to do here that I haven't done. In Granada and Cordoba, we felt like we covered most of the things to do there in less than 3 days. It was the perfect place to visit for a weekend. Now, I come back to busy Barcelona...so much left to do, and time is running out!

Pictures of Granada
Pictures of Cordoba

No comments: