Friday, October 17, 2008

Conchita


I realize more and more each day how lucky I am to have such a wonderful senora. I knew from the minute she opened her door to me with open arms and kisses on the cheek (typical Spanish greeting), that she would be a blessing in my life.

Conchita is a mother, and that totally reflects on how she treats me. She is always making sure I eat enough "Quieres mas? Un pocito, un pocito!" (Do you want more? Just a little, just a little!). When we were homesick the first week, she made us tea and talked to us for 2 hours about how 4 months was short, and that we were so lucky to be able to come to Europe. The first weekend that I was away for orientation, she packed Lexi and I little bags with apples and juice to take with us, and sent us text messages the first night that read "Buenas noches, besos" (Good night, kisses).

The IES guidebook mentioned that some families treat students like tennants and not like family. I was a little nervous about going to live with someone I didn't know at all and who didn't speak my language. However, she has been more than hospitable to me in every way. From talking to other people about their homestays, I can tell that I am extremely fortunate.

I know that when I leave here, I will be sad to leave her because she has become my family while I am away. As difficult as living apart from other students and speaking only Spanish has been, it will be one of the most rewarding experiences of the semester. God answered my prayers that I started saying way before I left Spain!

1 comment: