Thursday, September 25, 2008

Life is good in Barcelona

Hola! Yesterday was La Merce, a huge holiday in Catalonia, particularly in Barcelona. Yesterday was also the best day I have spent here by far. It was the first day that I went to bed thinking 'I am so glad I am in Spain rather than anywhere else right now.' Definitely a nice feeling :)

The festivities actually began about a week ago. Since La Merce was on a Wednesday this year, they just devoted an entire week to partying (as is the Spanish way). Last week Aubrey and I went down to Portal de la Pau near the harbor and saw part of the Gigantes parade. It's hard to describe, but basically it's a these giant 8-10 foot statues of figures that parade down the street. At first we just thought that they were stationery, but people are inside them and make the walk and dance. There was also lots of random music and stuff to accompany them. Then, that night, I went with some people from ICB (International Church of Barcelona) to see some other festivities. We went to see the Correfoc, which is by far the strangest thing I have ever experienced. Thousands of people were crowded in this square, and there is a parade of figures spewing fireworks while people cover up their bodies and run through it...there is NO way we could get away with this in the United States. It was quite an experience, even with my slight phobia of fire! Afterward, we walked down to the beach and watched fireworks there. I had never watched fireworks on the beach, so it was a new experience for me.

Then yesterday was another day full of festival activities. I met Aubrey, Krisi, and Brett near Place Jaume I to see the Castellers. Check the link below for more pictures, but basically, these people build huge human towers in the middle of a massive crowd. It was ridiculous, and also another totally unique experience. Make sure to see the pictures and video!


The four of us went to Montjuic and walked around after that, where we went to the MNAC museum (Art museum) for a few minutes and then to the Botanic Gardens for free since it was a holiday. That night, I met up with the ICB group for the finale of La Merce. In Placa de Espanya (near Montjuic), they had a performance called "Pyromusical". It was a massive music, firework, fountain light light show. I have seen a lot of fireworks in my lifetime, but this was honestly the best I have ever seen (sorry Disney, you can't even compete!). The fireworks were synched with the music and the fountain lights, and it lasted a full 45 minutes. Afterward, everyone had sparklers and the entire crowd of THOUSANDS of people all lit them at once. This was the true Barcelona experience...this was a day that I will never forget.

LA MERCE PICTURES- click here!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow that human tower thing is amazing!!!! cant wait o see you back on this side of the big blue. see you in the spring!!
ITB Jennifer Crane

Anonymous said...

I'm sooooooooooooooooo glad that life is good in Barcelona now!