Thursday, September 4, 2008

A new day...

My dad sent me an email today that only said "No blog update since the 1st?!" So, if people actually read this thing, here's an update!

The past couple days have been really difficult to get adjusted. This program is about 3 times at big as Vienna, and so I feel very lost right now. There are at least 70 students here from Santa Clara and a ton from Wake Forest, too, so I feel like so many people already know a ton of people here and only want to hang out with people from their own school. Also, so many people just seem to be in Barcelona to party every night. That's not me...I am starting to worry that maybe this isn't the right place for me...

Lexi, my roommate, got really homesick yesterday, and hearing her talk made my feelings surface. It doesn't seem to matter that I have already done this once...it all seems so different and I just feel very alone and lost right now. Our wonderful Senora, however, spent about 2 hours talking to Lexi and I last night to make us feel better. I just hope that things get better.

Today was interesting. I went to my first Spanish class today, and I feel WAY overwhelmed. I don't think I'm in the right level at all. I could only understand about 50% of what the professor was saying, and I don't feel comfortable with that. I talked to him afterward, and he said to wait a few more days and see how it goes. Then, I can switch if I still feel uncomfortable.

After I left IES, I didn't have any plans and didn't really want to go home yet, so I just wandered around the city. This guy from a restaurant beckoned me over and started talking to me. He told me to come in and sit down, and then he proceeded to bring me a cafe con leche, some nuts, and a glass of water. He's from Barcelona, but he spoke to me in English and knows like 8 languages. His name is Ben. Then after that, he asked me if I wanted to run some errands around the city with him. Normally, I would have been really weary of this, but he seems like a very genuine guy. We wandered around for a little bit, and then I headed home around 7:30. He gave me his phone number and told me to come back to the restaurant soon and bring my friends. For some reason, this experience made me feel a lot better. I wouldn't exactly call him a friend yet or anything, but it was someone to talk to and to experience the city with. Plus, I was going outside the "American bubble" and meeting local people. That's all for now. We leave for orientation in Valencia tomorrow, which I am hoping will make some of these worries and anxieties go away. It's still all in Spanish though (ahhh!), but at least it will be a time to make some friends. I'll write when I get back!

3 comments:

Mary said...

My first week at the summer program in France I was so worried that I was in the wrong class- I didn't understand what the teacher was saying and everyone else seemed to pick up faster than I did. I wanted to be in the lower level with my friends because I thought that was where I should be. After that first week though, I was fine and I had no trouble keeping up the rest of my short stay. I hope it's the same for you!! Love you!

-Mary

Anonymous said...

Hey lady!! Stay strong. Everything is hard the first time you do anything! and this my dear is totally new! ENJOY ENJOY ENJOY and live in the moment! Enjoy every breath, every scene, every converstion, every cup of coffee! Its all going to be fine and oh so wonderful! :) I am thinking of you! Bring home a hot Rico Suave! XOXO
EM

Anonymous said...

I know it has to be overwhelming for the first couple of weeks. You will settle into a routine and be speaking spanish away in no time!! I did the same thing and before I knew it, my schedule was very busy and I didnt think twice about speaking spanish all day! Hang in there, my love!! I definately miss you here! I hope it gets better for you really soon! I'll be praying for you and i'm always thinking of you! Remember, I'm only a skype call away! :) Love you and miss you!
~Leah